Share |

Monday, February 1, 2010

How did I ever take a crap without my iPhone?!?!

In this day and age of mobile technology and social communication via internet, I'm still wondering if it's good or bad. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's a little of both.

I own an iPhone. I have to say I hate cellphones...just not quite as much as I used to. It's really not cellphones I don't like, it's the cellphones users and their lack of manners when using one. The next time I catch someone on their cellphone in a theater I'm going to neuter/castrate them. I mean is posting "At the movies!" really that important to all your Tweeple? Do you really have to announce to all your Facebook friends that you're "out to eat. What should I get?" Are you no longer capable of making a decision without hearing from Jane that you graduated high school with 8 years ago?



I'm actually VERY concerned by the generation just below me. Everyone that's somewhere between 13-22. The generation that's grown up with cellphones and texting. I've seen people text faster than I can fucking type. SERIOUSLY! I've heard of people sending and receiving THOUSANDS, I'll repeat myself, THOUSANDS of texts a day. The lack of social interaction is mind boggling to me. I've met a lot of people younger than myself that don't know who Mark Twain is but they can text at 6,000 letters a second. They don't know what the capital of California is but they have 545 friends on Facebook and 3,038 followers on Twitter. N thay cant spell n e more! *Sigh*

Now I can't sit here and tell you I don't spend too much time on Facebook and follow Kevin Smith's tweets a little too closely. (Kevin Smith is the MAN!) But on the same hand I do have social functioning. I can carry a conversation with someone (usually) without them rolling their eyes at my own stupidity. (Well it does happen but not because I'm a complete moron so much as a Genius Egomaniac).

On the same hand I can get lost and quickly find my way again with my phone. I can IMDb the shit out of all the random actors I can't quite come up with. After all it's important to know who played Gorgeous George in Snatch. I can Google anything I want. I could even write this blog post if I felt so inclined, though very slow and tedious the progress would be. I can take a picture of Cartman and send it to Carl because I'm laughing my ass off and he just NEEDS to know what I find so funny 7 hours away. I can stay in touch with everyone I want a little easier. I can pay bills from work. I can play games when I'm waiting for the doctor. Hell I'm not even bored taking a shit anymore!

Technology is great. It's enabling us to live our "busy, important" lives a little easier. But on the same hand I don't think we should lose sight of what got us here in the first place. You have to keep striving to expand your mind with something other than text messages and live life meeting new people and seeing new things. Not just googling it and thinking it was cool that my grandfather was alive for that.

So all you texters, Facebookers, Myspacers (People still use Myspace...right?) and Tweeters out there, set your phone down for a bit and try having a conversation with someone. Trust me. It won't hurt and you'll look a little less ridiculous in the process.

-Your Humble Genius Egomanic,
   Directorial Genius

No comments:

Post a Comment