Share |

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Play it Loud!

If you are looking for a blog entry that sets up a series of arguments or that expresses a clear thought or point, this is not for you.

Music is one of the things I care most about. I think a lot of people feel that way. Whenever I'm in my car, at work, in the shower (so long as I'm not going to wake my wife), or doing most anything else, I'm listening to music. Or, I'm playing music - recording or practicing in my music/recording room, waiting for my wife to get ready to go out, watching television, or sitting by the fire pit. I love music. There is always a song going on in my head. When it’s quiet, it’s a gamble as to whether it’s a song by another artist, or if I’m just hearing notes and trying to make sense of them. I’m not an amazing musician, there are tons of guys out there that make me look like a rank-amateur as far as playing goes. I would like to think I’m decent, but that’s really up to the listener, isn’t it? I think that’s important; music is completely the interpretation of the listener. Everyone has the style(s) of music they like, and they might either respect other styles or think they are shit. Someone may hear something that sounds dissonant and someone else may think it goes together perfectly. Sometimes you can hear the hum of a bridge underneath your tires and hum a melody over it, while others may not hear the pitch.
We give meaning to music. In itself, a song is just words and music. The life that we can personally give music is really an amazing thing. The songs that I listened to during the toughest parts of my life can still somehow evoke those complicated emotions, almost instantly, when I listen to them now. Hell, I have a few CDs that I actually stay away from because they have the ability to put me in a very negative place within minutes. The same goes for the songs that I remember from the happiest moments of my life. Some songs are tied to events, some to friends, some to feelings. When you think about it, few other things have the ability to do that. Tastes and scents may remind us of something or someone, but rarely do they provide us with a true visceral reaction that music can provide.
Imagine your life without music. What do you hear? Silence? Random sounds from the refrigerator or furnace? Loud and obnoxious coworkers? Your own heartbeat and the gurgling sounds in your stomach? Whatever it is, it’s not as sweet as your favorite artist.
Whether it’s rock, rap, metal, country, jazz, pop, classical, or any other style you enjoy, turn it up and play it loud and with pride. It doesn’t matter if anyone else likes it. Fuck ‘em. They don’t have the connection to it the same way you do, and it doesn’t take them the same places it takes you. Don’t take it personally, and for fuck’s sake don’t try to push it on them. There is no method more guaranteed to make them hate that type of music more.

-Reverend Genius

No comments:

Post a Comment