Share |

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

America's Pastime is Upon Us

The birds are chirping. The sun is out. The grass is green. Yup it's my favorite time of year...BASEBALL SEASON! I'm a die hard Red Sox fan. If you boo this is, bugger off and go read some Yankee blog about sodomy and payroll or something. I have to say though, I love baseball in general. Not just the Sox. There are players all over the league I love. Guys like Pujols and Mauer. Verlander and Griffey (I'll always love Griff). That's why I really like fantasy baseball. I get to follow everyone around baseball and I pay attention to everyone, not just my favorite team.


I've always liked baseball (minus a 5 year stretch after the Player's Strike. Kind of pissed me off.).I always played baseball as a kid and some of my favorite movies are most definitely baseball movies. "You're killing me Smalls." I've just always been fascinated by it. The team concept but the one on one battle that happens every at bat. The one thing that I love about it most, especially these days, is the tradition behind baseball. In a day and age of constant change and the buzz of everyone's sped up lives, I love the fact that the game hasn't changed all that much since it's inception in the early 1800's (date is debatable I know).

I really dig all the old players and how they played the game. They approached the game in a way many of the players I like today do. They dig in. They get dirty. They dive. They play hurt. In a society full of bullshit and whiny nonsense, it's the simplicity of baseball that I love, but also it's complexity too. It's a game of constant situations. A righty is up to bat, who do we warm up in the bullpen? Jonny hits .340 against Bobby but doesn't hit well in Corporate Sponsor Park, should we pinch hit? If you watch the game, there's always something going on. Fair weather fans and haters just don't notice it. "Baseball is too slow. It's boring. It's almost as bad as golf." Some of us like the fact that it's "slow". Plus if you're one of the people that say it's slow...try playing it! It might not be as slow as you'd think. But then again getting off your fat ass probably isn't much of an option is it Porky.

As much as I love the Boston Red Sox. There's one thing I love just as much. HATING THE YANKEES. Now all you Yankee fans are going to blab away. I can hear your nonsense now. Just as you're reading this and thinking my blogging is the same type of blabbing. But that's exactly my point. It is...HANDS DOWN...the greatest rivalry in sports. Don't care what anyone says. Debate all you want I will not agree. It goes back to the Great Bambino and continues to this day. It will, hopefully, never change. The Red Sox and Yankees will always have a rivalry. Mostly because of the fans but I deep down hope they all hate each other to make it that much better. I mean just look at A-Rod. I've never wanted to see someone catch a beating so much in my life. Everything about him makes me want to punch him...kind of like Varitek...but without the mitt.

But I should digress a little anyway. Both teams play in the best division in baseball where very good games are common place. I love it. I could go on forever really but I won't. If you're still reading this well, chances are, you have a ball game to catch!

1 comment:

  1. Here is my prediction for the Sox pitching staff. Lester and Lackey are going to lead the way with 18 wins or more. Beckett will get 16 to 18. Dice-K will get 13-15. Clay will get 11 to 13 and Wakefield will have 10-12 wins. Paps will have 35 saves or more because he is looking to make tons of money on his next contract.

    ReplyDelete